Friday, August 03, 2007

Reminding myself

To be honest, over the last two weeks or so I have been struggling/battling the little foxes that have desperately been trying to steal my joy and excitement about this decision that we have made. It has been a true test of my faith of who I hold on to. Do I hold onto what my friends and family think? Do I hold onto what our culture says? Or do I believe in my big God who has my life in His hands?
Why do I obey? I must remind myself of this over and over again. I obey because I am so in love with the Lord and I will do anything to worship Him and give Him glory. He calls us to obey because He desires intimacy with us. He knows that when we obey out of love, He has us in such a position to be the Big Daddy. He gets to take care of us and to show us that He does have it all under control. When we are utterly abandoned to Him (and totally vulnerable), there is nothing more safe than being in the hands of the most powerful and loving God.
I have often found myself picturing my kids grabbing onto Andy's leg as he walks around. My kids find safety and joy in their daddy, knowing that he would do anything to protect and guard them. This is how I am holding onto my Father, knowing that everything is ok if I just hold/cling onto His truth and continue to walk in willing obedience.
So, I must be alert and ready for those little foxes- innocent questions, concerns, strange looks, the lifted eyebrows, etc. , and at the moment I pray for perseverance and joy most of all to keep me looking straight at Jesus, the author and perfecter of my faith.

Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.
Hebrews 12:1-3

No comments: