Thursday, February 28, 2008

Shall we dance?

Every morning my daughter, Ally, asks me to turn on some music so she can dance. I get out the big black case of cd's and pick a few to start the day. She and Eva instantly begin to twirl around as I begin the breakfast/morning routine. Sometimes, when I feel particularly chipper at 6:30am, I join them for a minute (which they LOVE) dipping them and swinging them around. I love to watch them dance.
This morning I decided I would pop an old-school favorite on. Steven Curtis Chapman, "Great Adventure". Yes, I know, '90's Christian music was a little sad back then, but this one always makes me want to dance. As an awkward teen, I remember watching my mom who did aerobics to this song in our family room. I would secretly want to get up and dance with her and her big bouncing hair, but always refrained because I was way too cool for that. But this morning I totally rocked out with my girls. Avery-man woke up to music blasting, mama dancing wildly around the living room and even in his sleepiness he got a big smile on his face and joined us. Maybe I like the song because I love horses so much, or maybe because I love adventure and it stirs something in me from back when I really wanted to let loose. My prayer is that I can take every opportunity to "let loose" and look like a complete freak in front of my kids, not just for their sake, but to keep my joy level in check. I'm sure I'll get some rolling of the eyes from my kids and scoffing at the things I might do. I'll do my best to not purposely embarrass them, but I want them to see that I have enjoyed my life. I'm excited for my kids to see and be a part of The Great Adventure. My prayer is that they embrace it, but that is their choice. Here are the great words to this song. What makes you want to get up and dance like a fool?

The Great Adventure

Saddle up your horses


Started out this morning in the usual way

Chasing thoughts inside my head of all I had to do today
Another time around the circle try to make it better than the last

I opened up the Bible and I read about me
Said I'd been a prisoner and God's grace had set me free
And somewhere between the pages it hit me like a lightning bolt
I saw a big frontier in front of me and I heard somebody say "let's go"!
(CHORUS)
Saddle up your horses we've got a trail to blaze
Through the wild blue yonder of God's amazing grace
Let's follow our leader into the glorious unknown
This is a life like no other - this is The Great Adventure

Come on get ready for the ride of your life
Gonna leave long faced religion in a cloud of dust behind
And discover all the new horizons just waiting to be explored
This is what we were created for
(Chorus)

BRIDGE
We'll travel over, over mountains so high
We'll go through valleys below
Still through it all we'll find that
This is the greatest journey that the human heart will ever see
The love of God will take us far beyond our wildest dreams

Yeah... oh saddle up your horses... come on get ready to ride
(Chorus)

2 comments:

Mama in Uganda said...

Let loose sister! I have a great book called "Jumping Ship" by the Pearl's of No Greater Joy Ministries (a link is on my blog). To sum the book up--why do kids "jump ship" when they get older? Because mommy lacked joy and laughter and dad was a hypocrite. OK, I am NOT saying that you/husband are either of these things, rather, I encourage you to be filled with joy--for the sake of glorifying Jesus and drawing your little ones into His love!

ChaffeeFam said...

Family Dance Parties are a MUST! Plus, when they are older...they won't be so surprised when you show up as a chaperone to a school dance!!! It's a family event!!! Go Seren!