Wednesday, January 05, 2011

Come on, be real

I've been encouraged to really dive in and let God take me on little adventures with my imagination (I'm pretty good at that anyways, but I've been a little more purposeful with it).

The book I am reading, Celebration of Discipline by Richard Foster, speaks about how using our imagination is often how God communicates to us and a way to focus our minds' eye on Him. This is definitely true for me and, of course, I want MORE communication with Him!!

First, I ask His Spirit to cover my mind and heart with his Love and Protection, so I do not go down crazy rabbit trails.
Second, I think of His face and what some truths are that I know about Him.
"He loves me." That is easy.

Well, I was thinking about how Jesus pooped. Yep, this is where I go....let me take you on a ride in Serenity's brainwaves.

So, Jesus pooped. If we know that He was fully human and fully God then we know that He fully did gross things, just like us. This makes me laugh and also makes Him much more easy to be around. I can take a sigh of relief to know that He was Real, so I can be Real.

If we deny this part of Jesus, we deny ourselves and ultimately miss out on the idea that God is WITH US. Jesus experienced everything we experience on daily basis. Emotions, gas pains, sadness, dirt, stink, temptations, and yes, regular bathroom trips. He, however, did life as a human with no fear, no shame, no sin. Love casts out fear.

And so, I will leave you with that thought. If we say we believe in Jesus and believe that He was fully human and fully God, we can imitate him knowing that we don't have to deny our yucky parts. His Spirit lives in us so that we can journey with Him in every step, giving us grace, mercy, and power to cast out the fear and shame.

2 comments:

Emie Kay said...

O my word Seren! This is EXACTLY what I was trying to say on the phone about feeling like I need to be real but it freaks people out!! I love this!! Thanks for sharing your thoughts, your life. You bless me! Love you dearly,
em

Sarah said...

I LOVE this post. It's a rare motherhood skill to use a poop metaphor and still have a deep and meaningful message. Thanks for the call back to reality.