Monday, June 14, 2010

More fuel to the fire

Andy and I just watched Food, Inc., a documentary on what has happened to food production in America, mainly. We've watched a few other documentaries like this one, have read books, and talked with folks who farm organically and sustainably. Both of us are sold on the fact that the mass production of food has gone drastically downhill.

I was taught, by my father (one of the only licensed organic/sustainable landscaper in the Portland area) to take care of living things and keep the dirt really healthy. When the dirt is healthy, that usually means everything else is healthy also. Composting, recycling, and growing a good garden have been ingrained in my life. But now, there is so much more to think about.

If I watched Food, Inc. without having any other knowledge, I would be totally discouraged and overwhelmed. Where in the heck do you start?

I am far from being the most well-informed, purposeful consumer. It is a way of life that takes time, energy, money, and careful decisions.

I think I'll talk more on this in the next few posts. What we eat, buy, and support is a big deal to Andy and I.

1 comment:

Thoughts for the day said...

I feel the same way. We are gardening this year and if I could I would have chickens and even a cow. (NO not in the city)
Most of what I buy is organic or natural. My gripe is the organic stuff is higher than the regular and it is a tight budget cruncher at times. We used to shop at Trader Joes and Natures but it was not convenient to keep it up.
Just try to be a wise consumer.
Sharon