Wednesday, November 07, 2007

The Triangle theory

I feel like life has been going really fast lately.
I have been hearing God say, "slow down," a couple times in the last few weeks. He has reminded me of the Triangle theory.......
GOD
HUSBAND
CHILDREN
everything else

With all the changes, exciting ministry opportunities, processing, meeting new people, lots of e-mails, etc., etc. the "everything else" has a way of inching itself to the top. Not good.
I can see my kids and my marriage react to this. I feel myself getting frustrated, angered, and distracted easily. I see myself taking it all in at once and trying my best to somehow be everything for everyone. HA! But when I'm alone at home with my kids, they see my true colors. If I don't allow a moment or two for some accountability it becomes a giant snowball that plows everything flat in front of me. I just can't imagine how my life would be without God.
When my priorities are messed up, nothing happens. Actually, nothing GOOD happens fast. Its a good thing I have an amazing Father who is gentle.

As I take a step back and realign myself, or rather, allow God to realign me, I can see how a lot of my "work" has been in vain. It's easy to become like many parents out there in this world who have become too busy and distracted to give their hearts wholeheartedly to the Triangle theory. I know too many folks who are in "ministry" but have lost their priorities, leaving their God, marriage and family in the dust. It doesn't matter what we are doing, where we are going, who we are friends with, God will always be ready to realign our hearts. And if we don't allow Him to do that the snowball will just keep getting bigger, heavier, and darker. God is calling our family to go and bring His Love to the streets of this world but our works will have no eternal value if we forget our priorities.

"Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself
unless it abides in the vine, so neither can you unless you abide in Me."
John 15:4


1 comment:

C and G said...

Amen Sista!!!
we need to hang out - I know I'm not part of the triangle :) but if you have some time I'd love to hang!
C